Saturday 31 December 2016

Downie-Deciding to do it and finding a way

No one is going to ask you to be a singer, a songwriter, a music producer or a musician.
You must decide to do it and find a way.
People often ask me “Downie, how long have you sung?” And I always answer “I came out of the womb hitting a high C”. I don’t remember a time when I didn’t sing.”
But I didn’t know until later that I was also a song writer, music producer and instrumentalist.
The skill of music producer and instrumentalist are the most recent hats I have undertaken. “Necessity breeds invention.”
Labels aren’t out there throwing hoards of cash to bring artists along any longer. So you have to get good at the things you can do for yourself.
Labels are not throwing money out there at “unkowns” to bring artists along. Everyone in the music business is scrambling now and plenty of people will take your money without delivering.
This means you must bring yourself along? And while others are out partying, dating and socializing you will be in your studio writing a new song, learning your instrument, producing and mixing a new track. I have walked into radio stations and seen the boxes of CD’s that will never make it on air. You will be up against the top recording artists out there. This is your competition. A dream in itself will not get you anywhere. It will take all the energy and focus you can
muster.

No one will do it for you if you don’t do it for yourself.

Happy New Year!

Downie

No comments:

Post a Comment